What is the Proper Way to Jump Start a Car?
While many Warren drivers have an idea of how to jump start a car, they might not know how to properly jump start a car and keep the charge? Learning how to bring your battery back to life is easier than you might think, and you can avoid spending the extra cash calling for a jump start car service. Take a look at our step-by-step guide at Apostolakis Honda, and find out how to jump start a car battery like a pro around Boardman.
How to Jump Start a Car
The proper way to jump start a car doesn’t require a lot of tools, just the right techniques. If you need to jump start a car battery in Youngstown, you’ll need a set of working jumper cables and a good samaritan with a working vehicle. Then, follow these steps in order:
- Park both cars with the hoods facing each other and turn both cars off. Double check to make sure the parking brakes are engaged.
- Pop the hoods of both cars and look for the batteries. Some vehicles may have a plastic hood on top of the battery terminal that needs to be removed.
- Find the positive and negative terminals. They should be free of corrosion and debris.
- Connect the red jumper cable clamp to the positive post on the dead battery.
- Hook the other red clamp to the positive terminal of the working battery.
- Connect the black clamp to the negative post of the working battery.
- Take the final metal clamp and place it on an unpainted metal surface on your car’s frame.
- Start the engine of the working vehicle first, then your vehicle second.
- When both vehicles are up and running, remove the jumper cables in reverse order of the previous steps. Shut off the working vehicle.
- Keep your engine running for at least 10 minutes to charge up the battery. Check your owner’s manual for more details.
What if your car won’t jump start? Call a jump start car service to get things running. You might need additional diagnostics to get to the bottom of your auto issue.
Other Tips and Tricks
- If you need jump start car service, check the details of your Roadside Assistance. New vehicles at Apostolakis Honda include 24-hour emergency roadside assistance included in your warranty for your convenience.
- If your car won’t jump start and you only hear a clicking noise, your starter might be the issue and not your battery. Schedule a service as soon as possible.
- If your electrical systems turn on, but the engine does not, this could indicate anything from a fuse failure to an ignition switch problem. Our technicians would be happy to troubleshoot.
Get Quality Car Service with Apostolakis Honda
Whether you want to invest in a good set of jumper cables or call a jump start car service, Apostolakis Honda is here to help you in Cortland. Contact us with any questions about our services!